One of Portugal's foremost celebrity Chefs, Kiko Martins is responsible for the gastronomical gem that is Cevicheria, as well as for O Talho - possibly the city's greatest butcher shop.
Chef Kiko, as he's better known, draws inspiration from his travels and summons ingredients and techniques from all over the world, from as far and wide as Asia and South America, to as close to home as Portugal.
Being a true Lisbonite, we were extremely curious to find out about his views on the city. The interview, below:
- Secret location?
- Best view?
One of the best is for sure at the Viewpoint of Senhora do Monte, in Graça.
- A guilty pleasure?
A Gin&Tonic while watching the view in Lisbon.
- What’s the weirdest thing you’ve experienced in Lisbon?
A visit to Grande Palácio, in Martim Moniz, where I tried things I don't even know the name of.
- Where can we find you on a Sunday?
With my family, whenever I can - the place doesn't matter as long as I'm with them.
- Where do you like to unwind?
With a nice run at the Natural Park of Monsanto. Ever since I've started running, I've found that Monsanto has an incredible view over the city.
- Something you cannot resist?
To see the sea every week.
- What can you do here & nowhere else?
Running in the mountain in the morning, working in Príncipe Real at lunchtime, surfing in Guincho in the afternoon and dining with my wife with a view over the city at night!
- What's your favourite beach?
Ponta Ruiva, in Sagres
- Someone NOT to be stuck in an elevator with?
Not something that worries me.
- The best drink to have with ceviche?
Pisco sour, hands down.
- A tip for making ceviche at home?
A good fish stew and freshly squeezed lime juice.
- Is Portuguese fish the best in the world?
Among the best, no doubt.
- What do you cook for you and your family at home on your day off?